The Cycling Route
This years Ffestiniog 360 challenge will follow a anti-clockwise route, starting and finishing at Blaenau Ffestiniog Town Centre. The challenge will run from 8.30 am - 8.30 pm. Use the map and elevation graph below to explore the route. If you have any questions about the route please contact us.
Map data generated using http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com
|Start Elevation||760 feet|
|Finish Elevation||737 feet|
|Min Elevation||41 feet|
|Max Elevation||1,250 feet|
The route data can be downloaded as GPX, MBCRS or TCX files.Download Route Files
- From registration at the rear of the Antur Stiniog Building turn right A470
- Turn right at mini roundabout A470
- Steep climb out of Blaenau Ffestiniog
Enjoy your first glimpse of Snowdon on your left as you cycle North Easterly over the Crimea Pass
Long descent passing castle on left to Dolwyddelan.
Continue on A470 (Lledr Valley) passing under Pont Gethin viaduct. Stay on A470
- Turn Left onto minor road at Beaver Bridge (Don’t turn right over bridge)
- Continue for 1 mile along minor road (care required) and merge with A5 in Betws-y-coed
- Turn left, stay on A5.
- Continue through village past Swallow Falls to Capel Curig
- Turn right at Capel Curig stay on A5
- Pass Mount Tryfan on left with two pinnacles on summit (Adam & Eve)
Pass Llyn Ogwen on right and enjoy Ogwen Valley (Nant Ffrancon Pass)
Toilets and refreshments for sale at Ogwen Cottage on left where lake ends
- Turn left off A5 just before Bethesda onto B4409 signpost Tregarth
- Leafy Lane with Miners Cottages on left.
Stay on B4409 passing through Tregarth and continue to T junction at A4244
- Turn left along A4244. Take third left onto B road sign posted Rhiwlas and take immediate right onto minor road.
- Continue along minor road to T junction and turn left onto A4244 again.
- Continue to Brynrefail until you see T Junction of A4086. Turn left by barriers immediately before the junction.
- Good place for a snack break and a chance to enjoy one of the finest views in Wales. From the small stone bridge you can admire the whole of Lyn Padarn and the Snowdon Range in the background. This view has won major photographic awards.
- Turn RIGHT at T junction of A4086 sign posted Caernarfon and proceed for approx 1 mile to cross roads.
- Turn left at cross roads sign posted Castell Bryn Bras along Fford Bryngwyn
- Fantastic views on right of Caernarfon Bar, Anglesey and Holyhead Mountain in the distance
- Continue to T Junction at Waunfawr and turn left onto A4085
- Continue towards Beddgelert passing the magnificent Llyn Cwellyn on your right.
Pass the famous Rydd Ddu car park with fabulous views of Snowdon on your left and the new Visitors Centre on the summit clearly in view. Welsh Highland Narrow Gauge Railway on left.
- Continue to Beddgelert village and turn right over the stone bridge onto the A498 (Aberglaslyn Pass)
- Proceed for approx 3 miles and turn left onto the A4085 sign posted Nantmor. Stay on A4085
- Turn left at Garreg Llanfrothen onto the B4410 sign posted Llanfrothen ( just after the pub)
- Continue climbing and pass under famous Telford Bridge carrying Ffestiniog railway. Tanybwlch Station on left, the haunting Lyn Mair on your right.
- Continue downhill to the T junction of the A487 and turn left at the Oakeley Arms Hotel. (Caution fast moving traffic)
- Proceed along the main road for only a few hundred yards and take first left onto minor road.
- (If you reach the bridge at Maentwrog you have missed the turn)
- Continue along minor Road for 3 miles
- Passing leafy woods and ignore left turn to Plas Dol Y Moch
- Turn right over the ancient and narrow stone bridge and cross the river to the T junction of A496.
- Care required turning left onto A496
- Proceed along A496 and begin gradual climb towards Blaenau Ffestiniog.
- When hill levels out turn right along B road sign posted Manod.
- Gradual climb for 1.5 miles to junction of A470 and turn left at the Wynnes Arms. Proceed through Manod (district of Blaenau Ffestiniog) to the finish at the town centre.
Congratulations, you have just completed the Ffestiniog 360, and circumnavigated the Snowdon Range. 63 miles